Hawks Fall Short in Lowell

Scott Morris, Staff Writer

On Monday Evening, the Hartford Hawks Men’s Basketball Team traveled to face America East Conference foe UMass Lowell River Hawks in Lowell, Massachusetts. The Hawks came into the contest off a rough 71-52 loss against the University of Albany Great Danes on Saturday in West Hartford and were looking to get back into the winning column. The Hawks entering the game held an overall record of 5-12 and 3-4 in America East play. The Hawks and River Hawks battled back-and-forth in the first half and saw several lead changes, but Hartford held a 40-39 lead going into the break. However, the second half was different as the River Hawks began on a 5-0 run and never looked back. They capitalized on every chance offered, which ultimately led to an 85-75 victory. The River Hawks got redemption after last year’s America East Championship Game, where the Hawks had their number. Hartford graduate student Hunter Marks led all scoring by tallying 19 points going 5-6 from the field, and shot a perfect 7-7 from the free-throw line. Hartford had some hot shooters, including seniors David Shriver with 11, D.J Mitchell with 15, and junior Moses Flowers with 16. The Hawks will keep their heads held high as they travel to face UMBC in Maryland on Wednesday Evening, looking to pull off a victory.