Hartford Women’s Basketball Team Vs. Binghamton Bearcats

Image via hartfordhawks.com

Scott Morris, Staff Writer

On Monday evening, the Hartford Women’s Basketball Team faced off against the Binghamton Bearcats inside Chase Arena in West Hartford. The two in-conference foes faced off in Vestal, New York, on January 26th, where the Hawks left victorious, winning by a score of 59-57 in overtime. Junior Birna Benonysdottir was the leading scorer for the Bearcats with 18 points, three rebounds, and two blocks, while Sophomore Paula Maurina led the Hawks with a strong 23 points, five rebounds, and one block. However, Monday’s game was a tale of a different story that favored the Bearcats.
The Bearcats dominated the game from the opening tip-off until the clock hit zero. After the first quarter concluded, the visitors held a 13-10 lead over the Hawks. Hartford would then take total control of the second quarter by outscoring Binghamton 10-4 and went into halftime, holding a 20-17 lead. Binghamton would then take complete control of the remaining 20 minutes, and Hartford just could not keep it close. Birna Benonysdottir led the Bearcats to score 19 points and four rebounds.
Although the Bearcats had total control of the match, Hartford’s Paula Maurina made herself present once again, tallying 16 points along with four rebounds and three blocks. Senior Lya Farcy wasn’t too far behind with a total of 14 points and three rebounds. Despite the Hawk’s effort, Binghamton left victorious with a final score of 63-46. The Hawks’ will hit the hardwood again on Wednesday as the face-off against the UMBC Retrievers in Maryland at 7 pm.