Hawks Set the Track on Fire at the Wilton Wright Invitational

Picture Credits: hartfordhawks.com

Picture Credits: hartfordhawks.com

Matthew Tomer, Sports Editor

The Hartford men’s and women’s track and field hit the track on Saturday for the Wilton Wright Invitational in New Haven, Connecticut. After outstanding performances for their last time out, the Hawks continued their hot streak with 14 top-three finishes. Three of them finished on top of the podium.

In the men’s portion of the tournament, they finished second with a total of 94 points, behind Central Connecticut State University. Hartford Junior Anthony Clavette cleared a height of 2.00m on the field side to take home first place in the event. Seniors Dylan Murad and Keon Cooper both finished as runners-up in their events. Murad threw the shot put 14.46m and Cooper launched the javelin 51.71m. Last week’s spotlight athlete Cole Cayer came home victorious in the 10,000m track event on the trackside. Cayer ran the event in a total time of 33:32.95 to take home another gold for the Hawks.

In the women’s portion of the tournament, they finished fourth with a total of 71 points, 27.5 more than in-state rivals, Sacred Heart. Senior Nia Mills led the way for the Hawks, taking home first place in the 100m and third place in the 200m dash. Mills was also a key part of the 4x100m relay team, including sophomores Emily Parchinski, Noelle Konior and first-year Marlina Voker, who finished second place in their event. On the field side, sophomores Robyn Krafft and Sydney Garrison finished second in each event. Krafft threw the discus a total of 41.10m, while Garrison cleared a height of 1.60m in the high jump.

The Hawks look to keep up their fast feet as they head to Massachusetts this Saturday for the UMass Quad Meet. Hartford will be competing against Boston University, Harvard, UMass, and WPI.