UHARTS WRITING COMPETITION OWNS THE COLLEGE OF ARTS & SCIENCES, AS THE SEMESTER COMES TO A CLOSE!

Daniel Roy, News Editor

Over the last two weeks the University of Hartford’s annual Writing Contest came to a close. Participants in the competition had a chance to win a range of $100-$350 per position won in the eleven categories they were to choose from. All contests ranged from writing genres such as Personal Essays, Literary Thesis, Poetry, Fictional Stories, and many more!

I had the honor of speaking to winner in the Fiction and Poetry sections, Liam Lynch (20, Junior), and winner in Drama, Alexa Schwartz (20, Sophmore) over their recent positions winning the competition. “It feels sort of like I’ve won an Oscar…” Liam began to charismatically explain to me. “…but one that no one else cares about, like those random categories—costume design, makeup and hairstyling, editing, etc… It might not seem like much to others, but to me, this really is amazing. It means that I am in the right place, and on the right path.”

I asked both where the drive for writing stood from here? And If they planned whether or not their writing would come to a halt from here? “I intend to continue studying playwriting, while exploring more with other genres, namely poetry.” Alexa told me. “The writing doesn’t stop here, that’s for sure.” Liam exclaimed. “Even beyond UHART, that blank white page will still be there, waiting to be graffitied. And I’ll be damned if I don’t grab the ol’ can of spray paint and get to work.”

I lastly asked them not due to the present success with their victories in this year’s competition if they were willing to give it a go next year? “Sure do! This one worked out—both in terms of finance and validation—and there is absolutely no harm in taking a shot.” said Liam. Alexa thought about it for a second, then confidently said “My objective for the upcoming year is to improve and strengthen as a writer. If the works I produce within the upcoming year are of quality, I’d consider submitting them to the 2023 contest.” Never hesitating to bring out the best in her outstanding talent!

Though this year’s annual Writing Contest has come to a close, all UHART students are welcome to give their try at entering the contests fabulous writing sections next year throughout the month of March to early April. Any inquiries about next years contest details? Please email [email protected] or [email protected] for further information.