Women’s Soccer Strikes Again

Hartfordhawks.com

Hartfordhawks.com

Scott Morris, Staff Writer

On Sunday September 3, the Hartford Women’s Soccer Team hit the pitch against the Siena Saints in Loudonville, New York. The game’s first shot didn’t come until the 15th minute when Hawks Sophomore Juliana Chiarella ripped a shot on goal that Saints’ goalkeeper saved. However, the Hawks struck first when Senior defender and Ireland native, Doireann Fahey, capitalized on a failed clearing attempt in the 23ed minute of the game. The Hawks maintained a 1-0 lead for the remainder of the first half and into halftime.

The Saints and Hawks both came out firing in the second half, trading scoring chances, but nobody was able to capitalize until Hartford’s own Imani Jenkins scored her eighth goal of the season, giving the Hawks a 2-0 lead. That score remained the same until the match’s closing minutes when an unfortunate header came off a Hawks defender and trickled past the Hawks’ keeper to give the Saints some life. Despite the goal from Siena, the Hawks stood their ground and eventually walked away with a 2-1 victory, improving their winning streak to two.

With Sunday’s win, the Hawks improved their overall record to 4-1. The Hawks will take the pitch this Thursday, September 8th, as they continue their road trip to face off against the NJIT Highlanders in New Jersey.