Hawks Set Track on Fire at MIT

Matthew Tomer, Sports Editor

This past weekend, members of the Hartford men’s and women’s track and field teams competed at the David Hemery Valentine Invite in Boston, and the rest were at MIT for the Gordon Kelly Invitational.

At Boston University, the Hawks were setting the pace in each event that they competed in. Sophomore Riley Brutvan continues to dominate as he recorded the second-fastest 5k time in Hartford history with a time of 14:48.44. Senior Keith May was also dominant at BU as he recorded the fifth-fastest mile in school history with an impressive time of 4:20.89. On the women’s side at BU, senior Hailey Marcello clocked a 10:20.72 in the 3000m, making it the fifth fastest time in program history. Not only were the Hawks dominating the track at BU, but the rest of the squad was also on fire at MIT.

On the men’s side of things at MIT, there were 13 top-five finishers, three of those landing runners on top of the podium. In the field, sophomore Conor Convery outthrew the school record in the shot put with 15.54m. Showing his lightning-fast quickness was sophomore Kaden Leonard as he earned top-three finishes in both the 60m and 200m dash. Leonard stood on top of the podium in the 200m dash and took home second place in the 60m dash. An all-freshman 4x400m relay team finished first overall with a time of 3:43.54. The team was made up of Riley Stevens, Jemiah Cartagena, Peter Efinger, and Spencer Beane. The women were also dominant at MIT, as they earned five top-five finishes.

Freshman Jenasica Weir took home first place in the 200m dash with a final time of 27.44 seconds. Marking the 10th fastest time in school history and a personal best was Cali Leonard in the 60m hurdles with a time of 9.57 seconds. To round out the women’s top-five finishers was junior Molly McGrail in the 600m dash. McGrail ran the event with a final time of 1:43.09. The women’s 4x400m relay team also was made up of all freshmen, and they combined to finish second overall with a 4:41.90 final time. This team consisted of Ella Grace, Mariah Nichols, Lilly Turmel, and Elizabeth White.

Following these dominant performances at both MIT and BU, Hartford makes their return to Providence, Rhode Island this Saturday to compete in the Brown Invitational.