Women’s Basketball Wraps up 2022-2023 Season

Matthew Tomer, Sports Editor

The University of Hartford Women’s basketball team wrapped up their 2022-2023 season on the road against Chicago State this past Sunday. Their season came to an end following a 75-62 loss moving them to a final record of 2-26 record while the Cougars moved to 6-22.

This game was the fourth and final meeting between the two teams this season. Chicago State took the first three games of the series and picked up right where they left off early on. The Cougars jumped out to an early 19-4 lead at the end of the opening quarter. Hartford would try to chip away at the lead, but Chicago State still led the game 37-23 at the mid-way point. With 8:39 remaining in the third, the game was at 41-29.

It was a game of runs as Hartford tried to chip away at the gap once again with a 7-2 run to close out the third. A 12-0 run by the Hawks was fueled by back-to-back shots from beyond the arch by senior Irene Primo and junior Lanae Johnson-Kleinpeter. Hartford outscored the Cougars 22-18 in the fourth, but the lead became too much for them to overcome. With no lack of effort, the Hawks fell to the Chicago State Cougars with a final score of 75-62.

Heading to the stat list, freshman Tatum Forbes led the way for Hartford with a team-high 15 points, paired with two assists. Also scoring double figures was Irene Primo with 11 points. This was Primo’s ninth game this season where she finished with double figures. Lanae Johnson-Kleinpeter tied her career-high with eight points to go along with a team-high eight rebounds. Despite what the final score shows, the Hartford Women’s basketball team gave it all they got in their final game of the season.