Softball Drops Close Game in New Britain

Matthew Tomer, Sports Editor

This past Sunday the Hartford Softball team hit the field down the road from campus in neighboring New Britain, CT to face off against Central Connecticut State University. After splitting the two-game series against Manhattan College last Friday, the Hawks looked to keep up with their winning ways against the Blue Devils. Unfortunately for Hartford, they didn’t have enough gas in the tank to overcome the point deficit as they fell to Central 1-0.

There was not much that separated the two teams throughout the game. It was a scoreless affair headed into the bottom of the fourth inning with the Blue Devils up to bat. In the top of the inning, Hartford had two runners on base and a chance to put points on the board, but CCSU’s pitcher Kaylee Whittaker retired the side to leave those runners stranded on base. The lone run of the game came off a two-out, two-strike single by Molly Bruyns that pushed Jasmine Lasane across the plate giving them the lead 1-0. The Hawks had another chance to score in the sixth with a runner on second but just couldn’t find the gap to even up the score line. That would end up being the last chance for Hartford, as that one run was the lone point on the board for the rest of the game.

Despite what the score says, Hartford had their chance to put points on the board. With four hits on the day, they went 0-5 with runners in scoring position. Emily Coffey was on fire once again at the plate, recording another multi-hit game for the second of her career. She ended the game with two singles. Last time out against Manhattan, Coffey earned three hits including a double in the second of the two-game series. On the mound for the Hawks was Caylee English who unfortunately took home the hard-luck loss. It was with no lack of effort as she recorded seven strikeouts and only one walk while giving up five hits and one earned run over five innings of play.

Next up for the Hawks is a road trip down to Madeira Beach, Florida on March 10 for The Spring Games. The first game is against Bucknell at 1 p.m., and the second is against Iona at 4 p.m.