UHart WSAM Radio Hosts Benefit Music Festival for Reproductive Rights

Lillian Wonderly, Entertainment Editor

In early February the University of Hartford’s only student-run radio station, WSAM announced their big event of the semester: reFORM! They organized a benefit music festival for reproductive rights. All the funds raised went to the Reach Fund of Connecticut. WSAM recently took to social media that they raised over $800 and that it was their biggest benefit festival since 2019.

The event took place on March 3rd, in Lincoln Theater, and was free to all students. The concert featured local musicians and bands such as Mint Green, Similar Kind, and Remember Sports. UHart professor Rachel Walker gave an opening speech, and it was a great night filled with tunes, raffles, and merch.

The Reach Fund of CT even gave away free weekend passes to the NYC Governors Ball Music festival headlined by Lizzo, Odessa, and Kendrick Lamar. WSAM wants to raise even more money for reproductive care access in CT so they’re now selling leftover merch from the gig. The merch includes an I heart Abortion t-shirt and a cute tote bag.

If you missed out on WSAM’s reFORM concert, there are many more opportunities to come. The Hartt Division of Music Studies is hosting an LGBTQ+ concert called Iridescence on Sunday, March 26 from 8-9:30 PM in the Berkman Recital Hall. The concert is student-run and features LGBTQ+ artists from the University of Hartford.