Track & Field excel at New England Championship

Megan Miller, News Editor

The Hartford indoor track and field team had a weekend full of personal bests and program record-breaking moments. Both the men who placed 17 out of 27 and women’s team who placed 15 out of 27 teams, traveled to Boston to compete at the NCAA New England Championships.

Both record breakers include junior Terrell Davis in the long jump and Elizabeth Lodge in the high jump. Davis placed first in his event with a distance of 7.45 meters to suppress his previous school record of 7.42. Davis also holds the school record that he set last February in the triple jump at 15.19 meters. In outdoor track and field, he also holds the school record for the long jump at 7.48 meters.

Lodge similarly broke her own school record and holds the record for the indoor pentathlon, which she set last February as well. At this meet, she earned runner-up honors with a height of 1.71 meters to break her previous record of 1.70 meters.

Outside on the track, she excels just as much. Lodge holds records for the 100-meter hurdles with a time of 14.61 and in the heptathlon.

Other athletes excelled in this meet as well as Davis and Lodge. For the men, Nurlan Herburger and Nicholas O’Brien captured personal bests. Both ran in the same event, senior Herburger edged sophomore O’Brien (8:53) with a time of 8:46 in the 3,000-meter event.

Junior Olivia Rougeau was .04 meters away from meeting her own outdoor record in the high jump. This score of 1.66 meters put her in third place and earned her All-New England honors.

Respectively, the team of Nicole Demars, Quinnae Outerbridge, Kaeli Baker, and Haleemot Adeyanju competed in the 4×800 and captured their own season-best with 9:47. Adeyanju took fifth in her 1,000-meter event as a freshman with a personal best of 3:04.

Overall, this Hartford team excelled this weekend and look ahead to their upcoming meets. Some athletes will be traveling to the URI Coaches Tribute in Kingston, R.I. on Feb. 9 and others will compete at the David Hemery Valentine Invitational hosted by Boston University on Feb. 8 and 9